The Old Man hopes to hit a home run when a baseball autographed by the 1951 World Series Champion New York Yankees comes into the shop but he'll need to verify its authenticity before he steps up to the plate. Then, Rick checks out a 25-piece Knights of the Round Table set but with all the kings' men accounted for, is it really worth its weight in gold? Finally, the Pawn Stars have a chance to buy a West Point Cadet jacket owned by a famous general in 1909--will they try it on for size, or send it to the Salvation Army?
Rick buys an old, Mafia favorite the 1962 Lincoln Continental with "suicide doors," but as the repair bills add up, so does the tension between him and the old man. Then, a guy brings in a billfold from 1857 that he found while cleaning out his garage. The best part? It's stuffed with Confederate money. Finally the Pawn Stars get a chance to buy a rare 1942 Gibson L7 guitar that was once played at a birthday party for Al Capone. But, is the seller in tune with what it's really worth?
• The first pawn shops emerged in ancient China more than 3,000 years ago.
• Today, there are more than 12,000 pawn shops operating in the United States alone.
• It is estimated that approximately 25 million Americans do not have a bank checking account. Pawn shops serve this population by offering a source of short- term loans.
• Pawn shops are often referred to as the “Lombard” in Europe, in reference to the House of Lombard, a prominent lending family in medieval London.
• More 70 percent of all items pawned today are reclaimed.
• The average loan granted for a pawned item is $75.
• Most states have laws limiting the amount of interest charged on pawn loans.
• State laws mandate that customers pawning items provide detailed information including name, address, and date of birth, and show government issued ID.
• The symbol of the pawnbroker is three spheres suspended from a bar. Some connect this symbol to the Medici Family--legend has it that one of the Medicis working for Emperor Charles the Great killed a giant with three sacks of rocks. The three balls or globes later became part of their family crest, and ultimately, the sign of pawnbroking.
• Saint Nicolas is the patron saint of pawnbrokers; the symbolism of the three balls or spheres associated with pawnbrokers has also been connected with his gift of three bags of coins to the three daughters of a poor man so that they could marry.
Corey Harrison began working at the pawnshop at the age of 9. Expertly trained in the art of appraisal, Corey not only has the brains to spot a cheat but the brawn to back it up. He is not afraid to throw his muscle around, especially when it comes to protecting his family. He also handles everything when it comes to hiring and firing employees and managing eBay clients. Oftentimes treated like a slave, Rick believes that Corey needs to earn his keep. Without a real stake in the business, Corey is hoping that all of his hard work pays off.